October 13th, 2013
Sony Xperia Z: Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery with Locked Bootloader
As we know, you might void the warranty of your device once you unlock the bootloader. It does happen when we need to flash custom kernel or rom to our device, it’s the time to unlock the bootloader to make thing happens. Nevertheless, some of us might just want to root and install CWM recovery to make NANDROID backup of the existing data on the phone. The idea of flashing any custom kernel or rom have never crossed your mind, then this is the right tutorial for you to install ClockWorkMod recovery on Sony Xperia Z with locked bootloader.
Of course, in order to proceed to install CWM recovery, you must first meet the requirement on this tutorial. First, you must have a rooted devices with you. We highly recommend to root using DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit that works on both locked and unlocked bootloader devices. It is simple and safe to be implemented and confirmed working by our reader. Second, you must have locked bootloader either locked since purchase or to be re-lock. Third, you must have a Windows PC with adb driver. Check out our tutorial: How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK. Once everything is ready, you might proceed to the next section.
Sony Xperia Z is one of the latest flagship android smartphone. It is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 16GB internal storage, an additional 64GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia Z has a 5 inch TFT Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display with 441 ppi pixel density. It has also an non-removable battery with NFC. Sony Xperia Z is known as of its well water-resistant and dust resistant features. It works and can stands for about 30 minutes in 3m water depth. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box, pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
How To Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware 10.3.A.0.423
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Z (either C6602 or C6603 models) with 10.3.A.0.423 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia Z USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- CWM Recovery 18.104.22.168 (cwm-locked-bl-XZ-v4.7z | 2.03MB)
- Download cwm-locked-bl-XZ-v4.7z to your computer.
- Extract the zip file into a folder. You should see a “cwm-locked-bl-XZ” folder. Within “cwm-locked-bl-XZ folder”, a “files” folder and “install.bat” are found.
- Ensure you have enabled USB Debugging and enable “Unknown Sources” in Settings->Security->Unknown Sources on your device.
- Connect your device to computer while it is powered on.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on the device screen.
- Download click to launch “install.bat”.
- Run the script to install the CWM recovery.
- Reboot your device when the script finish execution and you should have CWM recovery installed.
- To enter recovery mode, press Volume Up or Down when green led is light up during booting.