October 13th, 2013
Sony Xperia J: Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with Locked Bootloader
It have been awhile for our Sony Xperia J to receive the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 11.2.A.0.21 firmware. As we recall, Sony Xperia J has been released back in October 2012 and making its first anniversary around the corner at this incoming October. With only one major cross-version firmware update from Sony, we hardly anticipate the arrival of latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia J but yet it is not the matter if you have get your Xperia J rooted and installed with ClockWorkMod recovery. These are those minimum requirements to get your device’s performance enhanced with customized rom.
We have been searching for working ClockWorkMod recovery for Sony Xperia J since the official 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware is released. Fortunately, we get this good news from termobulbulator, XDA member who spread the news of working CWM recovery for Xperia J. Nevertheless, this is not a permanent recovery installed on your device. But still, it is reported to support normal features of CWM recovery such as backup and restore, install flashable zip. In the meanwhile, you can try to install CWM using this method or waiting for the availability of permanent recovery. We will definitely keep you updated with the latest news of the release of permanent recovery on Sony Xperia J.
Sony Xperia J features 1.0GHz Cortex A5 processor and 512MB RAM. It also comes with 4GB internal storage with SD card expansion up to 32GB, 5MP rear camera and VGA front camera, 4.0 inches 854×480 TFT display. Sony Xperia J is running Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware out of the box and upgraded to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
How To Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Sony Xperia J with 11.2.A.0.21 Jelly Bean Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia J – 11.2.A.0.21 Jelly Bean Firmware with locked bootloader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia J USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Sony Flashtool (flashtool-0.9.11.0-windows.exe | 112.77MB)
- Recovery (recovery.ftf | 4.90MB)
- Jelly Bean kernel (JB.ftf | 5.40MB)
- ClockWorkMod Recovery (cwm_j_v6.1.zip | 2.30MB)
- Download cwm_j_v6.1.zip to your computer.
- Extract the zip file into a folder. You should see a “j” folder. Within “j folder”, a “files” folder and “install.bat” are found.
- Ensure you have enabled USB Debugging and enable “Unknown Sources” in Settings->Security->Unknown Sources on your device.
- Connect your device to computer while it is powered on.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on the device screen.
- Download click to launch “install.bat”.
- Run the script to install the CWM recovery.
- Reboot your device.
- Download Sony flashtool into your computer. Double click on the flashtool.exe file to install. You should see a flashtool folder in C Drive.
- Double click on flashtool icon in the folder mentioned in Step 9 to launch flashtool.
- Download recovery.ftf and JB.ftf and copy to flashtool/firmwares folder in computer.
- On the flashtool, click on the lightning icon and click flashmode, then “ok”.
- Click “Select kernel to Flash” on right side in flashtool.
- Browse and choose “ST26i 11.0.A.7.5” in the flashtool/firmwares. Press flash button to start flashing
- Follow the prompt instructions.
- First, to unplug your device from PC.
- Second, power off your device.
- Third, enter to Flash Mode on your device by press and hold Volume Down button while connect your device with USB cable to computer.
- Forth, connect your device back to computer with USB cable. The screen display will still remain blank in dark.
- Monitor the Flashtool in computer. It should continue to run and flash the *.ftf.
- Wait until the flash process to complete. You should see “Flashing finished” from the flashtool.
- Your device shall reboot automatically or else reboot manually.
- Now, repeat Step 12 – 21 by selecting “ST26i 11.2.A.0.211” in the flashtool/firmwares.
- To enter recovery mode, press Volume Down when green led is light up during booting.