October 13th, 2013
Root Moto X with Locked Bootloader (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular, Rogers)
Root Moto X tutorial is now available. This tutorial is applicable to Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular and Rogers Motorola Moto X. It almost works for all kind of Moto X. The great news of this root method is you can root your Moto X without unlock bootloader, indirectly it indicates that you can have your warranty reserved with root access. It is very cool and what a lot of us waiting too.
Great thanks to the Xda member jcase who has released the new exploit for Moto X (MotoRoot) which do not need to unlock Moto X’s bootloader. The new MotoRoot can bypass the bootloader locked status and give you full root accessibility to your device. The tool by jcase here is named PwnMyMoto. You need to install the PwnMyMoto apk with fastboot driver with computer and finally gain the root access with SuperSu application from Google Play Store. With this method, you will not have custom recovery (ClockWorkMod or TWRP recovery) but with only root access. Custom recovery for Moto X should be available near soon.
Motorola Moto X is the first product of Motorola after group under Google. Moto X equipped with a Dual core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor which is a major drawback as compared to other flagship model from Samsung, HTC and Sony. Moto X also featuring a 4.7 inch AMOLED display with 1280×720 pixels and 312 ppi pixel density, makes another drawback for Moto X device as flagship of Motorola. Other hardware specification of Moto X includes 2GB RAM memory, 16/32GB internal storage without microSD expansion capability, 10MP rear camera and 2MP front camare with 1080p feature. Worth to mention that Moto X is running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean out of the box and foresee Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update in the near future.
How To Root Motorola Moto X without Unlock Bootloader
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- All variants of Motorola Moto X running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware – Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular, Rogers (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Motorola Moto X USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- PwnMyMoto 1.1 Sprint (PwnMyMoto-1.1-Sprint.apk | 309KB) – Source
- PwnMyMoto 1.4.3 ATT (PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-ATT.apk | 309KB)
- PwnMyMoto 1.4.3 T-Mobile (PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-TMobile.apk | 309KB)
- PwnMyMoto 1.4.3 US Celluar (PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-USCellular.apk | 309KB)
- PwnMyMoto 1.4.3 Verizon (PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Verizon.apk | 309KB)
- PwnMyMoto 1.4.3 Rogers (PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Sprint.apk | 309KB)
- Download appropriate PwnMyMoto apk for your Moto X carrier above into your pc.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK).
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Copy and paste the PwnMyMoto-XXX.apk to the fastboot folder at desktop.
- Connect to the computer via micro USB cable.
- In computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder.
- Type adb install -r PwnMyMoto PwnMyMoto-XXX.apk and press Enter to flash the apk file to your device. Rename the XXX to your file model version.
- The MwnMyMoto apk will be installed into your device.
- Allow third party app to run in your device and continue to run PwnMyMoto app.
- Your device will be reboot 2 to 3 times. Wait patiently.
- At last reboot, PwnMyMoto will be uninstalled by itself.
- Now, proceed to Google Play Store to install SuperSU.
- After SuperSU installed, update the binary library.
- You should have root access now on your Moto X with locked bootloader.
- Download root checker to check your root status.