October 13th, 2013
Root Motorola Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini with PwnMyMoto
Having a brand new Motorola Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini? It is time to root it!! Root Motorola Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini tutorial is now available. Big thanks to case who is the developer for this root tool. This tutorial is applicable to all variants of Motorola Droid Ultra/Maxx and Mini for Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular and Rogers. The great news of this root method is you can root your Motorola Droid devices without unlock bootloader. This root tool has been awaited for long time especially those need to root the device without installing custom recovery,
Again, great thanks to the Xda member jcase who has released the new exploit for Motorola Droid (MotoRoot) which do not need to unlock Motorola Droid’s bootloader. The new MotoRoot can bypass the bootloader locked status and give you full root accessibility to your device. The tool by jcase here is named PwnMyMoto. You need to install the PwnMyMoto apk with fastboot driver with computer and finally gain the root access with SuperSu application from Google Play Store. With this method, you will not have custom recovery (ClockWorkMod or TWRP recovery) but with only root access. Custom recovery for Motorola Droid should be available near soon. Same tool can be use to root the Moto X as well.
Motorola Droid devices comprise of Motorola Droid Ultra, Maxx and Mini version. All of them are the first product of Motorola after group under Google together with Moto X. These 3 devices had their own strengths and advantages. All of them are running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean out of the box and foresee Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update in the near future. Check out full specification of Motorola Droid Ultra, Motorola Droid Maxx and Motorola Droid Mini.
How To Root Motorola Droid Ultra, Maxx, Mini without Unlock Bootloader
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Motorola Droid Ultra, Maxx and Mini (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Motorola Droid USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download PwnMyMoto apk into your pc.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK).
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Copy and paste the PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk to the fastboot folder at desktop.
- Connect to the computer via micro USB cable.
- In computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder.
- Type adb install -r PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk and press Enter to flash the apk file to your device.
- The PwnMyMoto apk will be installed into your device.
- Allow third party app to run in your device and continue to run PwnMyMoto app.
- Your device will be reboot 2 to 3 times. Wait patiently.
- At last reboot, PwnMyMoto will be uninstalled by itself.
- Now, proceed to Google Play Store to install SuperSU.
- After SuperSU installed, update the binary library.
- You should have root access now on your Motorola Droid with locked bootloader
- Download root checker to check your root status.