October 13th, 2013
Sony Xperia Ion: Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Finally our Sony Xperia Ion received Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware 6.2.B.0.211. For those who have not receive Jelly Bean update through OTA or PC Companion, you can still refer to our guide on how to manually update Sony Xperia Ion to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware. It is pretty easy and safe to update using Flashtool. Once you have installed the latest firmware, you can proceed to root your device if you intend to flash custom rom after you get bored of stock firmware.
Root and install ClockWorkMod recovery is a must to flash custom rom. Here we prepare the ClockWorkMod recovery installation method for you. Thanks a lot to ganeshbiyer, XDA Recognized Contributor for developing this ClockWorkMod recovery installation file for Sony Xperia Ion. All you need is a rooted Sony Xperia Ion with or without unlock bootloader, busybox installed, adb debud enabled and unknown sources enabled. If you have rooted your Xperia Ion without busybox, download and install busybox from Google Play Store.
To avoid getting into any trouble during the flashing process, do take 5-10 minutes reading the pre-requisite and requirements. Besides, we also strongly recommend to backup your data in the device to avoid data corruption.
Sony Xperia Ion is equipped with 1.5GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. It has 1GB RAM and internal 16GB internal storage, an additional 32GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia Ion has a 4.55 inch backlit LCD (1280 x 720 pixels) display. It has also non-removable battery. Android 4.0.4 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box.
How To Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Sony Xperia Ion with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Ben Firmware 6.2.B.0.211
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Ion LT28h – rooted with busybox installed (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia Ion USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download CWM6_Ganesh_Jb_Xperia ION_v1.zip to your computer.
- Extract the zip file into a folder. You should see “cwm-install-en” bat file.
- Ensure you have enabled USB Debugging and enable “Unknown Sources” in Settings->Security->Unknown Sources on your device.
- Connect your device to computer while it is powered on.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on the device screen.
- Download click to launch “cwm-install-en.bat”.
- [Follow screen instructions] Press any key to continue.
- Complete the process to install ClockWorkMod Recovery.
- Reboot your device and you should have CWM recovery installed.
- To enter CWM recovery mode, turn on your phone. At the Sony Logo, you shall see blue led light up.
- Press Volume Up continuously. Do not press and hold Volume Up but keep pressing for a few seconds.
- You need to wait a few seconds, then press Volume Up or Down to enter CWM Recovery.