September 29th, 2014
LG Optimus L5 E610/612 Android 4.1.2: How to Root and Install Custom Recovery
Updated with Video Guide. It is indeed a bad news to LG Optimus L5 users as we are hardly seen continuous development on this device. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware has been released on Optimus L5 for quite a long period but yet we fail to find some workable rooting method from 3rd party development platform. We have been trying on every single root tool in the web such as unlock root, Framaroot, one click root etc but none of these root tools gain access to the latest Android version on Optimus L5.
Nevertheless, dev-DaT Senior member of XDA forums throws some light on Optimus L5 development where he manage to root Optimus L5 on the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean stock firmware. This is rather easier than rooting Optimus L5 running Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) as you only need to flash a pre-rooted firmware with KDZ updater. In the same time, ClockWorkMod recovery will be installed along with the installation of the pre-rooted firmware package. This root method is applicable to LG Optimus L5 E610 & E612. After flashing this root package, your device will now recognized as E610.
LG Optimus L5 E615 is officially unveiled in September 2012 and it is the mid range smartphone in LG Optimus series. LG Optimus L5 is equipped with 800MHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and 512MB RAM, 4GB internal storage with expandable microSD card slot up to 32GB. It comes with Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware.
How To Root LG Optimus L5 E610/E612 on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Stock Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- LG Optimus L5 – E610/E612 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download LG Optimus L5 USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download and extract KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.rar into a new folder on your desktop.
- Open the extracted folder. Make sure you install msxml.msi file within the folder.
- Download 20d+root + cwm.kdz into your computer. Place the downloaded kdz file on your desktop.
- Turn off your phone completely. You can always take out the battery and reinsert to confirm complete turn off.
- To enter download/emergency mode, press and hold Volume Down and connect your device to computer with micro USB cable.
- You shall see “Download is in progress. Do not disconnect cable” on your device screen.
- On the computer, right click on the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe file and run as administrator.
- Select type as 3GQCT and phone mode to DIAG.
- Press on folder icon on the KDZ Updater and locate 20d+root + cwm.kdz which is on the desktop.
- Once done, click on Launch software update. In this time, KDZ Updater may shows not responding. Do not afraid as this is normal.
- Wait KDZ Updater to flash the pre-rooted firmware into your device. Once it finish, your device will be reboot.
- Go to Google Play Store, download and install Superuser. Remember to update to the latest binary once Superuser is installed on your device.
- Superuser app is now installed in your device. Your device will be completely rooted.
- Download Root Checker in Google Play to check the root status.
- To enter CWM Recovery mode, power off your device. Press and hold Volume Down, Home Button and Power Button until the device vibrate and show LG logo. Release only Power button and keep pressing both Volume Down and Home Button for 8 seconds.