October 13th, 2013
How to Restore LG Optimus to Stock
Updated with Video Guide. Rooting and flashing custom rom enable pretty of modification to be done on your LG Optimus device. Anyhow sometimes you may encounter some difficulties to perform normal operation on your LG Optimus device due to flashing wrong custom rom, mistakenly perform steps away from the rooting guide etc. This circumstances often result in soft-brick of your device and not able to recover by simply flashing another custom rom or hard reset. In addition, you may also need to restore to stock in order to receive official firmware update for your LG Optimus device. It is only be done on a non-rooted Optimus device with stock recovery.
When you facing the mentioned situation, restore to stock is now come into the picture. Restore to stock meaning to get your device restored to the factory settings as what you received from LG Store or network carriers. Stock LG User Interface (UI) and lot of bloatware comes together with your device is now being restored. As usual, stock firmware is always more stable than any custom rom in the development field.
Restoring to stock firmware is not as hard as you imagine. The overall concept of restoration is to flash the stock firmware into your devices using KDZ updater. In order to make sure successful restoration process, proceed to the next section to get your phone ready with USB debugging, USB driver installed. These steps are essential and do not try to skip. If you have failed to restore, drop us a message in the comment section, we will assist you with a workable solution.
This tutorial is applicable to LG Optimus series device including LG Optimus L5, LG Optimus L7, LG Optimus L9. If you have tested this guide on other LG Optimus devices, do let’s us know and this list shall be updated. To download stock firmware for LG devices, proceed to LG Phone Firmware website and locate the corresponding firmware based on device’s model. Else, leave your message by stating the model of the device, we could provide the download link.
How To Restore LG Optimus Devices to Stock Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- LG Optimus L5 E610/E612/E615F, LG Optimus L7 P700/P705, LG Optimus L9 P760/P765/P768E/P769 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download LG Optimus USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- LG KDZ Updater (KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.rar, 2.0MB)
- Stock Firmware for your device. Proceed to LG Phone Firmware and download the latest firmware. The latest firmware is identified by both the number and alphabet on the firmware i.e 20c is newer than 10c as well as 20b.
- Download and extract KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.rar into a new folder on your desktop.
- Open the extracted folder. Make sure you install msxml.msi file within the folder.
- Download latest-firmware-of-your-device.kdz into your computer. Place the downloaded kdz file on your desktop.
- Turn off your phone completely. You can always take out the battery and reinsert to confirm complete turn off.
- To enter download/emergency mode, press and hold Volume Down and connect your device to computer with micro USB cable.
- You shall see “Download is in progress. Do not disconnect cable” on your device screen.
- On the computer, right click on the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe file and run as administrator.
- Select type as 3GQCT and phone mode to DIAG.
- Press on folder icon on the KDZ Updater and locate latest-firmware-of-your-device.kdz which is on the desktop.
- Once done, click on Launch software update. In this time, KDZ Updater may shows not responding. Do not afraid as this is normal.
- Wait KDZ Updater to flash the stock firmware into your device. Once it finish, your device will be reboot.
- Your device is now restored to stock.