September 17th, 2014
Motorola Razr i: How to Root and Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Motorola Razr I is still our favourite Android smartphone despite of its less competitive hardware specs as compared to latest flagship model from Samsung, HTC or Sony. Nevertheless, with 2GHz Intel Medfield processor and 1GB RAM, Motorola Razr I perform well in both lite and heavy use of the device in entertainment and gaming. People just do not satisfy with the current performance and tends to extend the potential of hardware to the maximum. Now it is actually what we tends to achieve through rooting your phone and install custom rom via ClockWorkMod recovery, a third party recovery that provide more features than the stock recovery.
In this tutorial, we are going to root and install ClockWorkMod recovery on Motorola Razr I running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. It is different method and files used to flash CWM recovery on Motorola Razr I running Android 4.1.2 JB and Android 4.0.4 ICS so please take note of the difference tutorial to follow. In addition, this tutorial is written for rooting Motorola Razr I device with unlocked bootloader. Unlock bootloader in other words means your warranty is now void. Once you make up the decision. kindly refer to the post here to unlock bootloader of your Razr i. Afterward, follow the steps in the guide below to start rooting and CWM installation.
Motorola Razr I is featuring a 2GHz Intel Atom processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB internal storage and 32GB micro SD expansion, 8MP rear camera, VGA front camera, 4.3 inch Super AMOLED display with 960×540 pixels and 2000mAh battery. Motorola Razr I is running Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box and updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
How To Root and Install ClockWorkMod recovery on Motorola Razr i with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Motorola Razr I – XT890 with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Motorola Razr i USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- CWM Recovery (recovery-razri-tryAtouch.img | 6.80MB) – Source
- Razr I Root (RAZRiRoot2.zip | 1.50MB) – Source
- Unlock Motorola Razr i bootloader. Proceed to official Motorola website and unlock your device.
- Proceed after you have successfully unlocked the bootloader.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK). Skip if you have done in Step 1.
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Download recovery-razri-tryAtouch.img and renamed to recovery.img.
- Copy and paste the recovery.img to the fastboot folder at desktop.
- With your device turned on, enter Fastboot Mode by press and hold Volume Down and Power button, leaving then to turn off the screen, then release Power button and wait the reboot, by pressing the volume button down. If you having difficulty to boot into fastboot mode, refer to video here.
- Once your device in fastboot mode, connect to the computer via micro USB cable.
- In computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder.
- Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to flash the kernel file to your device.
- Press and hold Power button to turn off your device.
- CWM recovery is now installed on your device. Let’s proceed to root process.
- Turn on your device. Connect your device to computer with micro USB cable.
- Download RAZRiRoot2.zip and copy to the sd card of your device. Unplug your device from computer.
- Turn off your device and reboot your device to enter CWM recovery by press and hold Volume Down and Power button.
- From the main menu in Recovery, select the install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, browse to folder location and select RAZRiRoot2.zip and click Yes to install.
- After the installation completes, go back to recovery’s main menu.
- Select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- Download root checker to check your root status.