October 13th, 2013
How To Root Sony Xperia ZL on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Sony Xperia ZL has been enjoying the great features came along with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official update recently. And yet, its brother, Xperia Z to receive the same Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update few days ago. If you have not received the official update notification from Sony, you may refer to our guide to manually update to latest Android 4.2.2 version. Fear not, it is absolutely easy and safe to flash latest Jelly Bean official firmware on your Xperia ZL and you still keep warranty alive.
So I assume your Sony Xperia ZL is updated to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official firmware 10.3.A.0.423, you can now follow our guide below to root your Xperia ZL. Once again, you may not void the warranty by rooting your device using the following method. This rooting method will be applicable to Sony Xperia ZL with locked and/or unlocked bootloader. At the end of rooting process, your device will be rooted with SuperSU and Busybox installed. However, ensure you are clear what you going to do to gain the root access. Check out our post regarding the benefits of root before start and if you still have doubt to begin. This tutorial has been testified working. Drop your message if it is not working for you.
Sony Xperia ZL is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 16GB internal storage, an additional 64GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia ZL has a 5 inch TFT Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display with 441 ppi pixel density. It has also a removable battery with NFC. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box, pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
How To Root Sony Xperia ZL on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware 10.3.A.0.423
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia ZL C6503 model with 10.3.A.0.423 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia ZL USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Easy Rooting Toolkit v15 by DooMLoRD (DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v15_perf-event-exploit.zip | 1.98MB)
- Download DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v15_perf-event-exploit.zip to your computer.
- Extract the zip file into a folder. You should see a “files” folder and a “runme.bat”.
- Ensure you have enabled USB Debugging and enable “Unknown Sources” in Settings->Security->Unknown Sources on your device.
- Connect your device to computer while it is powered on.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on the device screen.
- Download click to launch “runme.bat”.
- [Follow screen instructions] Press any key to continue.
- Complete the process to install busybox and SuperUser.
- Reboot your device when the script finish execution and you should have root access gained.
- If you are facing issue of device rebooting when remounting /system partition then do checkout the fix posted by @[NUT].
- Download root checker to check your root status.