October 13th, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S2: Root and Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware I9100XWLSS
Official Jelly Bean firmware update hits International Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 back in March 2013. This update bring significant improvement to this two year old device especially buttery smooth performance and great stability. Besides, Galaxy S2 users will now have the exact user experience as Galaxy S3 users did with the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update as full user interface revamp on Galaxy S2. Nevertheless, official firmware just cannot hold our flasholic here to try out some modification on their Galaxy S2 such as root, flash custom rom or kernel to improve battery life.
In this tutorial, we are going to show you the complete step to root Samsung Galaxy S2 on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean I9100XWLSS firmware. It is not applicable for other models and/or firmware. It might need a certain level of knowledge to perform this task. By following the tutorial below, you must understand and know exactly what is going to happen on your device. Kindly reminder, I9100 Galaxy S2 model has brick bug on ICS 4.0.4 which makes flashing process extremely sensitive. If you in doubt, do not hesitate to leave us a message.
Samsung Galaxy S2 is Samsung flagship smartphone in 2011 with 4.3 inches 800×480 Super AMOLED display, Samsung Cortex Dual-Core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 16/32GB internal storage and 8MP rear camera. It is running Android 2.3.4
Ice cream sandwich Gingerbread out of the box. It can be upgraded to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
How to Root and Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS Stock Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Samsung Galaxy S2 USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: You do not need to wipe your device but we always suggest your backup before flashing. Perform wipe data only if you face problem after flashing. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSS-OXX-5.06.1-signed.zip in computer.
- Connect your device to your computer with USB cable.
- Copy and paste PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSS-OXX-5.06.1-signed.zip into external SD card.
- Unplug your device from the computer and power off.
- Enter Stock Recovery Mode by pressing and hold the Volume Up key, Home button, and Power button.
- Select apply update from external storage from the Recovery menu using Volume Up or Down.
- Locate PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSS-OXX-5.06.1-signed.zip in the external SD card.
- Press Power button to confirm.
- Select Reboot System Now after flashing.
- To enter CWM recovery mode, press and hold Volume Down, Home button and Power button.
- Download root checker to check your root status.