October 13th, 2013
Remove Bloatware Galaxy S4 Guide
Bloatware are applications installed in your device by network carriers such as Verizon, AT&T, Rogers, Sprint etc. These apps may or may not utilized fully by all users and yet it consume considerable-high memory of your device. The consequence of getting these unwanted apps or we called bloatware running in the background is that the degraded performance of the devices. Nevertheless, you cannot remove these bloatware simply go to Settings—>Apps—>Uninstall as it is linked to the system files. Special tools or script should be applied to achieve the prefect removal of these apps.
TrulyClean is developed by schoolsux, XDA senior member and it’s capable to remove a lot of bloatware (98+ apps) from your device. The result of getting your Galaxy S4 debloat is 800MB+ free storage and unexpected smoothness experienced. The concept is more or less to give your device a clean start, just like what you are going to get on the Nexus series devices where no unwanted apps startup during boot.
TrulyClean script is editable as you can always choose what is the apps to be uninstalled. Beware of the removal of apps, some of the apps may linked to the systems file or we called it system apps whereby removal of these apps may cause instability and force close on your device. You are warned! This option (editable) is opened to users with sufficient knowledge in editing script and not applicable to tech newbie.
Besides, TrulyClean script can only be installed on Galaxy S4 I9505 with custom recovery installed. For those who are still running stock firmware without root and recovery, proceed to our How to Root Samsung Galaxy S4 guide to root the device and install TWRP custom recovery. Once you have done, you may proceed to the next section of this post to remove bloatware on Galaxy S4 I9505. TrulyClean is confirmed working on Galaxy S4 I9505 running Stock Deodexed firmware, WanamLite, Omega and FoxHound custom rom.
How To Remove Unwanted Bloatware on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 – rooted & custom recovery (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Samsung Galaxy S4 USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation automatically.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: You will lose data after flashing. You are encouraged to make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Ensure you have a rooted Galaxy S4. (root guide)
- Ensure you have custom recovery like TWRP or CWM on Galaxy S4. In this case, we strongly recommend you to use TWRP. (Download and install TWRP on Galaxy S4)
- Download directly or transfer TrulyClean_v1.6_MEDIUM_SBROWSER.zip into your device’s SD card.
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home button to enter TWRP Custom Recovery.
- In TWRP, go to Wipe and perform Wipe Dalvik Cache and Wipre Cache before flashing the firmware.
- Back to TWRP main menu, select Install and locate & select your downloaded flashable zip (TrulyClean_v1.6_MEDIUM_SBROWSER.zip)
- Use Swipe to confirm flash button to flash the zip file.
- You should eventually see “Successful” after flashing.
- Press Reboot System.