October 13th, 2013
Sony Xperia ZL C6506: Update to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware 10.3.A.0.423
Sony Xperia ZL is start getting Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official firmware. Several Xperia ZL models from different regions are started to receive OTA update. Official update is also available from Sony PC Companion/Sony Bridge for Mac. Android 4.2.2 brings you more stable Jelly Bean experience with additional feature such as multiple lock screen with additional widgets and new notification toggle buttons. We believe the android 4.2.2 firmware update for Xperia ZL is just a beginning, more firmware upgrade will be rolling out for some other Xperia devices like Sony Xperia Z.
Since this is an official firmware release by Sony Mobile, no additional modification steps are needed. You can either choose to update it via OTA, Sony PC Companion/Sony Bridge or manual update if you can’t wait any longer. In this entry, we will cover all these 3 methods. You do not need to erase your phone data with upgrade above. However, it is recommended to do a factory reset on your devices if you found errors, force close, or application compatibility issue after upgrade. In worst case, you are still able to downgrade your device firmware back to previous firmware version.
Sony Xperia ZL is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 16GB internal storage, an additional 64GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia ZL has a 5 inch TFT Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display with 441 ppi pixel density. It has also a removable battery with NFC. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box, pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
How To Update Sony Xperia ZL to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
We have total 3 ways to update your devices officially. They are update via OTA (Over-The-Air), update via Sony PC Companion for Windows/Sony Bridge for Mac and manual update via Sony Flash Tool. Update via OTA and Samsung Kies are the easiest ways for update yet you have to wait the release from Samsung (It could takes up to a month of waiting). Manual update with Odin is the fastest way to get latest update yet need some additional manual installation steps. We will cover all 3 update methods in our tutorial.
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia ZL C6506 with stock firmware (Ensure correct device model and firmware;Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia ZL USB driver for Windows and install in your computer. Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation. Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Firmware upgrade should not delete your device data yet you may experience inconsistent performance after upgrade. Optionally, we recommend you to make a backup and do a clean upgrade. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
Choose Your Update Methods:
- Update via OTA (Over-The-Air) – Choose to install manually if OTA still not available for you
- Update via Sony Companion/Sony Bridge – Choose to install manually if Sony Companion/Bridge update still not available for you
- Manual update via Sony Flash Tool
- Ensure you have stable internet connection (Wifi or data network) on your devices.
- Power up your device, go to android apps drawer, select Settings.
- Under Settings menu, select About phone under System.
- Select Software update under About phone.
- You should see an update available, press OK to download and install. (Caution: Download with 3G will incur additional charges to your phone bill!)
- Your device will reboot automatically and complete installation.
- If you see “The latest updates have already been installed”, you have to wait for Samsung to release the OTA update.
- Check out manual updates which give you the fastest and latest firmware update.
- Ensure you have stable internet connection on your computer.
- Download and install Sony Companion for Windows / Sony Bridge for Mac on your computer.
- Power up your device and connect it to computer with USB cable.
- Open up Sony Companion / Sony Bridge on your computer.
- Wait for Sony Companion / Sony Bridge to detect your device.
- You should able to see New Firmware Upgrade is available at the home of Sony Companion / Sony Bridge .
- Press on Firmware Upgrade button to proceed.
- Check the box to agree all the T&C about the upgrade and Press Start Upgrade to proceed.
- Wait download and installation to run. Do not disconnect your device at this moment.
- You should see your device running upgrade and reboot automatically.
- Upgrade is complete. (Check device firmware – Go to Settings –> About Phone–> Android & Baseband version)
- If you see “Your phone/tablet is up to date” in Sony Companion / Sony Bridge, you have to wait for Sony Mobile to release the update via Sony Companion / Sony Bridge.
- Check out manual updates which give you the fastest and latest firmware update.
If both OTA and Sony Companion / Sony Bridge updates do not work for you, follow tutorial below to manual update your device with Sony Flash Tool.
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware for Sony Xperia ZL 10.3.A.0.423 (C6506_10.3.A.0.423_Unbranded.ftf | 725.13 MB) – Source
- Sony Flashtool (flashtool-0.9.11.0-windows.exe | 112.77MB)
- Download Sony flashtool into your computer. Double click on the flashtool.exe file to install. You should see a flashtool folder in C Drive.
- Double click on flashtool icon in the folder mentioned in Step 1 to launch flashtool (either is FlashTool or FlashTool64.exe)
- For first timer, navigate to C:\Flashtool\drivers folder to install “Flashtool-drivers”. Select and check the box of your device model and Flashmode Drivers.
- While your device is powered on, connect your device to computer with USB cable. Make sure all drivers are installed properly before start.
- Download C6506_10.3.A.0.423_Unbranded.ftf and copy to C:\flashtool\firmwares folder in computer.
- On the flashtool, click on the lightning icon and click flashmode, then “ok”.
- You should see a new windows.
- At the right sidebar, check “Data, Cache, Appslog” boxes if you wish to wipe the device before flash. To remain your device data, uncheck all the boxes.
- At source folder, browse and choose “C6506_10.3.A.0.423_Unbranded.ftf” in the flashtool/firmwares.
- Press flash button to start flashing.
- Follow the prompt instructions.
- First, to unplug your device from PC.
- Second, power off your device.
- Third, enter to Flash Mode on your device by press and hold Volume Down button while connect your device with USB cable to computer.
- Forth, connect your device back to computer with USB cable. The screen display will still remain blank in dark.
- Monitor the Flashtool in computer. It should continue to run and flash the C6506_10.3.A.0.423_Unbranded.ftf.
- Wait until the flash process to complete.
- Power on your device and you shall now with new firmware.
- Check device firmware to ensure you have properly installed 10.3.A.0.423 firmware – Go to Settings –> About Phone–> Android & Baseband version.