October 13th, 2013
How to Root Galaxy Express I8730 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Samsung Galaxy Express I8730 was officially unveiled in January 2013 and available in the market starting in March 2013. Since the official launch, only minor update have been rolled out by Samsung to Galaxy Express and no news to update to the latest Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean. Being a mid range device, Samsung Galaxy Express possess great potential to unleash more powerful performance from the hardware configuration. Of course it can be done through official firmware update where you can enjoy new user experience on improved Android version. Yet, your phone performance degraded with the installation of bloatware that normally added in by phone carriers.
One way to debloat is through rooting your device. It is done by flashing pre-rooted kernel, pre-rooted stock rom or through third party software. By meant of rooting your device, you can now gain full access to the system file and modify according to your preference. It may sound more technical to you but you can still have modified your device using well-optimized custom rom. If you in doubt of what’s rooting is, head over to How to Root guide where we explain further on the features of root.
As in today’s guide, it is using third party software called motochopper to root your Samsung Galaxy Express on the stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Beware that this guide is only applicable to Galaxy Express I8730 model, using motochopper on other model may eventually brick the device. To ensure you have sufficient preparation before rooting, proceed to Pre-requisites & Requirements section to identify correct device model, install USB driver, enable USB debugging and lastly backup your data. Every single step is essential to successful rooting of your device.
Before we proceed to the next section. let’s recap on the specification of Samsung Galaxy Express. Samsung Galaxy Express is featuring a dual core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor, 4.5 inch Super AMOLED display with 207 ppi pixel density, 8GB internal storage with microSD expansion up to 32GB, 1GB RAM. Samsung Galaxy Express also equipped with 5MP rear camera with 2592×1944 pixels resolution, 1.3MP front camera for video call. Galaxy Express is also running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean out of the box and foresee Android 4.2 Jelly Bean may arrive in the future.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy Express I8730 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Samsung Galaxy Express I8730 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Samsung Galaxy Express USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: You do not need to wipe your device but we always suggest your backup before flashing. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Galaxy Express Root File (motochopper.zip | 4.04 MB)
- Extract motochopper.zip in a folder at the desktop.
- Within the folder, you should see a run.bat file. Right click the bat file and run as administrator.
- Now, connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Press any key on computer to start the rooting process.
- A pop up windows appear on your phone request for “Allow USB Debugging”. Press OK.
- Script running on Command Prompt will stop and request to reboot your phone. Press any key on computer to proceed.
- Your phone shall reboot automatically.
- Please be patient. The whole process may take several minutes.
- Download Root Checker in Google Play to check the root status.