October 13th, 2013
How To Backup EFS/IMEI On Samsung Device
EFS is Encrypting File System where it is a very important and sensitive system folder to store your phone information such as IMEI (Device Identity), wireless devices MAC addresses, product code and more. EFS stored inside the partition storage of your device. Telcos / Carriers need to identify and recognize your device to allow access to the network. If you lost it, your device will no longer able to connect to network and become a useless device. In reality, flashing a custom ROM should not repartition EFS folder, however it could accidentally corrupt the EFS folder. If you are one of those who love to flash ROM, you must have your EFS folder backup before flash ROM.
In this tutorial, we will use a very simple EFS backup tool – One Click EFS Pro. With this tool, you can easily backup and restore your EFS folder. Of course, there are more features of this tool, such as format EFS partition before restore and much more. This tool is only applicable to rooted device. How To Backup EFS without Root? Basically, you do not need to worry your EFS folder if you used to flash any ROM. Your EFS is always safely guarded. If you have rooted device and always flash custom ROM, this is a must-step to take to backup your EFS/IMEI.
You should not restore your EFS folder if your device is in good condition. Try yoru best to avoid touching this folder for unnecessary reason to potentially brick your device.
- Supports Backup and Restore of Partition Image (*.img) and Compressed TAR Archive (*.tar) formats.
- Automatically detects saved EFS Backups on Device and PC for hassle free restoring.
- Re-Scan option to refresh Backup list for restoring Backups.
- Automatically Re-Mounts ‘EFS’ folder with Read/Write permissions during restore for users ‘stuck’ with Read Only permissions.
- Automatic detection and prompting of Mass Storage Mode.
- Automatic detection and termination of SAMSUNG Kies application on startup.
- Supports Multiple Backup handling.
- Option to Format ‘EFS’ partition before restoring an EFS Backup.
- Displays various Device, ROM and BusyBox related information on startup.
- Attempt NV Recovery – Restores NV Data from ‘*.bak’ files if they exist to fix corrupt or incorrect IMEI number.
- Repair NV Data – Repairs NV Data file ownership to fix ‘Unknown Baseband’ and ‘No Network / Signal’.
- AUTOMATIC ‘/efs’ partition location detection to add support for many more including future devices.
- Hashing of Partition Image Backups to verify the data written.
How To Backup EFS/IMEI On Samsung Device
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Any Samsung Devices – There were some exceptions (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Samsung USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: You do not need to wipe your device but we always suggest your backup before flashing. Perform wipe data only if you face problem after flashing. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download and extract EFS_Pro_1.9.12_Release.zip in computer folder. You should see EFS Pro.exe.
- Power on your device.
- Connect your device to your computer with USB cable.
- Ensure your device is NOT in media storage mode.
- Double click and execute on the EFS Pro.exe. You should see prompt below.
- Ensure you have enable USB debugging mode. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Press Ok to continue.
- At your device, you should see you get prompted with a ROOT Access request from ADB Shell.
- Press Grant / Allow root access to EFS Pro.
- Let’s EFS Pro to detect your device.
- Choose your EFS backup location on either To Device Storage or PC Storage.
- Data Backup Method: Select Create Partition Image *.img
- Check Verify Partition Image MD5 Hash.
- Press Backup EFS.
- Once you see Operation finished, you have successfully backup your EFS.
- Check the your EFS Pro.exe folder. You should see a EFSProBackup folder with your EFS image stored.
I hope you enjoy the tutorial. Let’s us know or drop your comment if it is NOT working for you.