October 19th, 2014
How To Unlock Bootloader on Moto X
Bootloader unlock is the first step to go before installing custom recovery and root your device. In some scenario, you can root your device without unlock the bootloader but it does not work on Moto X in this moment. Thank God, Motorola comes with several carriers in states but not exclusive to one yet the bootloader unlock has become one key option for users to choose where should they head to. Motorola posted the bootloader unlock availalbility information officially in their website. As of today, the Moto X from carriers – Rogers, US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile are unlock able, Verizon and AT&T Moto X will not support bootloader unlock.
In this entry, we going to share the process how to unlock bootloader on Moto X (Rogers, US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile). This is the official way how to unlock your Moto X bootloader by Motorola. Bear in mind, unlock bootloader on your Moto X will void the warranty.
Motorola Moto X is the first product of Motorola after group under Google. Moto X equipped with a Dual core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor which is a major drawback as compared to other flagship model from Samsung, HTC and Sony. Moto X also featuring a 4.7 inch AMOLED display with 1280×720 pixels and 312 ppi pixel density, makes another drawback for Moto X device as flagship of Motorola. Other hardware specification of Moto X includes 2GB RAM memory, 16/32GB internal storage without microSD expansion capability, 10MP rear camera and 2MP front camare with 1080p feature. Worth to mention that Moto X is running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean out of the box and foresee Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update in the near future.
How To Bootloader Unlock Motorola Moto X
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Motorola Moto X (Rogers, US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile) (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Motorola Moto X USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Unlock bootloader will erase all the device data. Make a full backup before you proceed.
Motorola has a very good description to let you understand what is boatloader unlock and the consequences of it before you start to unlock. This is to ensure you are aware on what are you going to do. Let’s get started.
- Read the WARNING from Motorola here before start.
- Press Proceed Anyway and log in your Motorola ID or Google Account.
- Install Android SDK driver. Follow our whole SDK driver installation. (Setup and install ADB driver)
- Install Motorola USB driver Motorola Moto X USB driver for Windows
- Following step is to get your Moto X device ID.
- Press and hold Power and Volume Down Button and connect your device with USB cable to computer to enter Fastboot mode.
- Goto Windows Start button –> Type cmd in the Search programs and files box.
- For Mac users, go to Terminal under Utilities folder.
- In the command prompt windows, type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows.
- Type command into the command prompt: $ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- This fastboot command will return a character string. This is the Device ID which you will be using to generate your unique unlock key.
- To generate the unique unlock code, simply join all the 5 line of string become one line without character of (Bootloader) and INFO.
- Copy the Device ID string, being sure there are no spaces, and paste it into the “Make Sure you Device Is Unlockable” field. This will verify that your device can be unlocked.
- Press Can my device be unlocked? to check the unlock availability.
- Check and agree the legal agreement to proceed unlock.
- The unlock key will be sent to your email account. The unlock key is a 20-character alphanumeric code that you will use to unlock your device.
- Once you have the device ID, turn off your device.
- Press and hold Power and Volume Down Button and connect your device with USB cable to computer to enter Fastboot mode again.
- Open a command windows or terminal again on your computer.
- Check your device connectivity on computer by typing $ fastboot devices in the cmd windows or terminal.
- You should see that your device is connected.
- To unlock your device bootloader, type $ fastboot oem unlock Your Device ID.
- Press enter and you should see your device has a confirmation message.
- Reboot your device and you should see Bootloader Unlocked Warning message.
- You have successfully unlock your Moto X. Have fun.