October 13th, 2013
How to Root Sony Xperia Z Ultra
We are getting more excitation now with the release of pre-rooted stock firmware from m3dd0g, Senior Member of XDA Forums. With the installation of pre-rooted stock firmware, you can enjoy a full root access to the system file for Android development as well as performance improvement on your Xperia Z Ultra. Nevertheless, you can still enjoy the elegant UI introduced by Sony, exclusive application such as Bravia Engine, Sound Enhancement, ClearAudio+, Sociallife, Sony Select etc.
If you are not familiar with Sony UI, you may change the entire user interface by installing customized rom. In order to do so, you need to install custom recovery such as ClockWorkMod or TWRP recovery. This is a very important requirement and must be compliance before proceed to the tutorial. After installed CWM & TWRP recovery on your Xperia Z Ultra, you can proceed to the Pre-requisites & Requirements to install the required drivers and settings.
If you need more information about rooting, kindly refer to our How to Root guide. It includes benefit of root, what is Android rooting, why to root and how to root guide for different Android devices. If you in doubt of any step in the tutorial below, do drop us a message and we will try to assist as soon as possible. Do us a favour to feedback to us if you encounter any problem during the flashing process.
Let’s recall on full specification of Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Sony Xperia Z Ultra is equipped with 2.2GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and 2GB RAM. It also comes with 16GB internal storage with SD card expansion up to 64GB, 8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera. The great selling point of Sony Xperia Z Ultra is the 6.44 inches 1920×1080 Full HD display. It is worth to mention that Xperia Z Ultra has the ingress protection (IP) up to IPX5/8 which is waterproof. Sony Xperia Z Ultra is running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware and most probably upgradable to Android 4.3 in the near future.
How To Root Sony Xperia Z Ultra with Pre-rooted 14.1.B.1.510 Stock Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra – unlock bootloader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia Z Ultra USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Before start, make sure you have unlocked bootloader of your Xperia Z Ultra. If not, proceed to Sony Official Unlock website to do so.
- Once you have unlocked bootloader, continue to install CWM/TWRP custom recovery on your device. Install ClockWorkMod/TWRP Recovery on Xperia Z Ultra
- Now, preparation was completed and let’s proceed to the root guide.
- Connect your device to the computer via micro USB cable. Make sure you have downloaded and installed Sony USB driver on your computer.
- Your device will be detected as external storage in the PC. Download and transfer Stock_ C6802_14.1.B.1.510_M3dD0g.zip file into external SD card. Any size of SD card will do.
- Unplug your device from computer and power off the device.
- Press Power Button and waiting for Sony logo, followed by Volume Up button to boot into CWM recovery mode.
- We always recommended a clean install of stock firmware by wiping all data from your device. This is to eliminate any incompatible issue after flashing new firmware.
- In the CWM recovery, perform a full Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Back to Recovery menu, perform Wipe Cache Partition and select Yes to confirm.
- Back to Recovery menu, perform Wipe Dalvik Cache and select Yes to confirm.
- Back to Recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard.
- Select Stock_ C6802_14.1.B.1.510_M3dD0g.zip and click Yes to install.
- Back to recovery menu, select reboot system now.
- Your Xperia Z Ultra is now rooted on a stock 14.1.B.1.510 firmware.