October 13th, 2013
Install ClockWorkMod/TWRP Recovery on Xperia Z Ultra
(Update) Now support 526 firmware. The world is stunned by the official announcement of Sony regarding of its latest phablet device, Sony Xperia Z Ultra. As the name suggests, it is a really huge device with 6.44 inch 1920×1080 Full HD display, and powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad core processor with clock speed of 2.2GHz. We could probably said that Sony Xperia Z Ultra is the most powerful Android device at this moment but it seem like Samsung is going to release the third generation of Note series, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 soon. With the availability of Galaxy Note 3 in the market, Sony Xperia Z Ultra will surely facing higher challenge in term of phone performance.
A most powerful device in your hand does not mean further customization is not possible or not necessary. In contrary, a highly customized rom can further improve the performance of your device and unleash the full potential of the hardware configuration. You might facing minor bug of using custom rom which we never expect a prefect custom rom can be build based on single person/developer. Nevertheless, you can still get a battery-life-optimized custom rom in XDA Forums.
To install custom rom on your Xperia Z Ultra, you need to root and install custom recovery. Tutorial below is to install custom recovery (CWM & TWRP) on your device. It is only applicable to Sony Xperia Z Ultra with unlock bootloader. This is a very important requirement and must be compliance before proceed to the tutorial. Learn how to unlock bootloader for Sony Xperia Z Ultra through Sony official unlock website. After unlocked bootloader, you can proceed to the Pre-requisites & Requirements to install the required drivers and settings.
Let’s recall on full specification of Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Sony Xperia Z Ultra is equipped with 2.2GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and 2GB RAM. It also comes with 16GB internal storage with SD card expansion up to 64GB, 8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera. The great selling point of Sony Xperia Z Ultra is the 6.44 inches 1920×1080 Full HD display. It is worth to mention that Xperia Z Ultra has the ingress protection (IP) up to IPX5/8 which is waterproof. Sony Xperia Z Ultra is running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware and most probably upgradable to Android 4.3 in the near future.
How To Install ClockWorkMod & TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra with 510 and 493 LTE firmware– unlock bootloader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia Z Ultra USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Unlock Sony Xperia Z Ultra bootloader. Proceed to official Sony website and unlock your device.
- Proceed after you have successfully unlocked the bootloader.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK). Skip if you have done in Step 1. Fastboot will normally used to transfer files such as kernel to your device, unlike the normal USB transfer, Fastboot requires certain command code.
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Download adv-stock-v4.img (for 510 firmware) / adv-stock-v5.img (for 526 firmware) to the fastboot folder.
- Power off your device completely.
- Enter Fastboot Mode by connecting your device to the computer via micro USB cable while pressing Volume Up button.
- On the computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder. Else, you can directly open command windows with destination set to C:\fastboot by pressing Shift+Right Click Mouse on the fastboot folder, then select Open Command Windows here.
- In the command windows, type fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v4.img / fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v5.img to flash the kernel file to your device.
- Press and hold Power button to turn off your device.
- Your device is now installed with ClockWorkMod & TWRP recovery. We recommend to perform NANDROID backup with CWM/TWRP.
- To enter ClockWorkMod recovery, press Power button and waiting for Sony logo, followed by Volume Up button.
- To enter TWRP recovery, press Power button and waiting for Sony logo, followed by Volume Down button. You might fail to boot into recovery for the first time, keep trying to get exact timing to enter recovery mode.