October 13th, 2013
How To Unlock Bootloader On HTC Butterfly S
Thanks God, HTC provides official bootloader unlock for HTC Butterfly S, successor of HTC Butterfly. HTC Butterfly S with bootloader unlocked, you can easily root, install custom recovery (ClockWorkMod or TWRP) and install custom ROM. Few steps you need to take in order to install the optimized custom ROM and bootloader unlock with be definitely the first step.
Most of the HTC devices come with bootloader locked with the security and warranty reason. Of course, unlock bootloader on your HTC Butterfly S will kill the warranty. Your bootloader status will change from LOCKED to UNLOCKED. You may find way to relock it but the status will eventually change to RELOCKED which indicates that your warranty is void officially. Check out why you need to root your device here before start – How to Root guide. It includes benefit of root, what is Android rooting, why to root and how to root guide for different Android devices. If you in doubt of any step in the tutorial below, do drop us a message and we will try to assist as soon as possible. Do us a favor to feedback to us if you encounter any problem during the flashing process.
HTC Butterfly S is a high-end device from HTC after the release of HTC One. Unlike HTC One, HTC Butterfly S come with plastic furnish with 1.9GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 and 2GB RAM. A 5 inch FHD 1920 x 1080 pixels Corning Gorilla Glass Super LCD3 display. It features latest HTC Sense UI v5.0, 16GB internal storage & up to 64GB microSD card slot, 4 Ultra Pixel rear and 2.1 MP front facing camera. It comes with Android 4.2.2 out of the box.
How To Unlock Bootloader On HTC Butterfly S
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- HTC Butterfly S – All variants (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download HTC Butterfly S USB driver for Windows and install in your computer. Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation. Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Unlock bootloader will erase everything in your device. Ensure you make a full backup before start. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Install Android SDK Manger and setup ADB and fastboot driver. (Installation guide)
- Register an account on HTCDEV.
- Activate your account via email confirmation.
- Head to official HTC bootloader unlock home page.
- Choose All Other Supported Models from “—Select Your Device—“ and press Begin Unlock Bootloader.
- Press Yes, then agree the legal term by tick both Boxes and proceed.
- While your device is power on, press and hold Volume Down key and Power button. Wait the screen to be totally turn off then release power button with only Volume Down pressed.
- Navigate with Volume up and down button and use Power button to select Fastboot.
- Now connect your phone to PC with USB cable. Ensure you install the Android SDK drivers.
- Goto Windows Start button –> Type cmd in the Search Programs and files box.
- In the command prompt windows, type cd C:\fastboot.
- Type command into the command prompt: fastboot oem get_identifier_token.
- Copy and paste the text as you obtain on the HTCDEV website without INFO. Make sure you start copying from Identifier Token Start and end at Identifier Token End.
- Paste the identifier token into the box at the bottom of the page in browser and submit.
- You will receive an email from HTCDEV with “Unlock_code.bin” file attached.
- Download the “Unlock_code.bin” file and paste it into the folder in Step 1.
- Type “fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin” into Command Prompt windows.
- Focus response from your device. Press Volume Up to accept and Power to confirm bootloader unlock.
- You should now seeing a warning from your device screen.
- Yes, you have successfully unlocked your phone bootloader.