October 13th, 2013
How To Unlock Bootloader For Nexus Devices
All the nexus devices are come with locked bootloader. Nexus devices I’m mentioning here is android devices which releases by Google directly without OEM’s modification android OS and with pure android OS experience. Google has released couple of nexus smartphone devices until now the 4th generation of nexus device, from 1st gen – Nexus One, 2nd gen – Nexus S, 3th gen – Galaxy Nexus and 4th gen – Nexus 4. Of course, Google also released Nexus tablets – Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Today, I would like to share how to unlock bootloader of these all devices which is very first step before you install custom recovery or custom ROM to your Nexus devices.
Bootloader is the place where operating system kernel to boot follow the designed procedures normally. You could design the boot procedures with bootloader unlocked. For those devices with bootloader designed by OEM like Samsung, HTC, Sony, bootloader is always locked to ensure users do not brick the device by flashing or modifying the devices for advance use purpose. However, an unlocked bootloader device could install more advanced ROMs which improve overall the hardware performance of your devices as well as battery life. You won’t be regret to kickoff unlocking your devices’ bootloader to achieve the real power of Android.
In this tutorial, we will unlock bootloader of your Nexus devices. Guide below works for all the Nexus devices in any Android OS (Gingerbread, ICS or Jelly Bean). You can choose to re-lock bootloader after unlock. An early and sort reminder here, unlock bootloader will definitely void your device warranty, think twice before you start. In addition, unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device, ensure you make essential backup before start. Again, unlock bootloader guide below does not applicable to 3rd part OEM devices like Samsung Galaxy series device, HTC device with Sense, and so on.
How To Unlock Bootloader For Nexus Devices
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC,Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Nexus Devices – Nexus One/ Nexus S/ Galaxy Nexus/ Nexus 4/ Nexus 7/ Nexus 10 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Nexus USB drivers for Windows and install in your computer. (Installation guide)
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation automatically.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Turn off your device and boot into bootloader mode. To enter bootloader,
- For Nexus S, press and hold Volume Up and Power Buttons.
- For Galaxy Nexus, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Buttons.
- For Nexus 4, press and hold Volume Down and Power Buttons.
- For Nexus 7, press and hold Volume Down and Power Buttons.
- For Nexus 10, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Buttons.
- Connect your device to computer.
- Goto Windows Start button –> Type cmd in the Search programs and files box.
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows.
- Type command fastboot oem unlock.
- You shall see a bootloader unlock page on your device screen.
- Read through the instructions and information before you confirm to unlock.
- Last, select Confirm by Volume Up, Down and Power button.
- Your device should reboot and you can see a unlock sign during boot up.
- Your device is now with bootloader unlocked.
press and hold Volume Up and Power Buttons