October 13th, 2013
How To Root Xperia Z Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244
Another stock firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244 is now available for Sony Xperia Z but unfortunately it is not the most anticipated Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. It is actually a patch to fix perf_event exploit which allow us to gain root access in the earlier 10.3.A.0.423 firmware. For those who tends to update to this new firmware from a rooted device, here is the root method developed by DooMLoRD who is the one provide easy root toolkit for our beloved Xperia Z.
If you want to keep the root access and update to the latest firmware, you may also refer to our previous post where OTA Root Keeper is to be used to restore root after the firmware update. Either ways should give you root access on Sony Xperia Z with stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware. For this stage, we still have no news from DooMLoRD whether a simpler one-click-root toolkit for this latest firmware will be released soon. This guide is only applicable for Sony Xperia Z C6602/3 on 10.3.1.A.0.244, please do not try it on other Xperia model or firmware.
Sony Xperia Z is one of the latest flagship android smartphone. It is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 16GB internal storage, an additional 64GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia Z has a 5 inch TFT Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display with 441 ppi pixel density. It has also an non-removable battery with NFC. Sony Xperia Z is known as of its well water-resistant and dust resistant features. It works and can stands for about 30 minutes in 3m water depth. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box, pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
How To Root Sony Xperia Z C660X on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Ben Firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Z with stock 10.3.1.0.244 firmware (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia Z USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Xperia Z C660X 10.3.A.0.423 Kernel (XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf | 7.12 MB) – Source
- DooMLoRD Rooting Toolkit (DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip | 2.96 MB)
- Xperia Z C660X 10.3.1.A.0.244 Kernel (XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf | 7.17 MB)
- Sony Flashtool (flashtool-0.9.11.0-windows.exe | 112.77MB)
- Download Sony flashtool into your computer. Double click on the flashtool.exe file to install. You should see a flashtool folder in C Drive.
- Double click on flashtool icon in the folder mentioned in Step 1 to launch flashtool.
- For first timer, navigate to C:\Flashtool\drivers folder to install “Flashtool-drivers”. Select and check the box of your device model and Flashmode Drivers.
- While your device is powered on, connect your device to computer with USB cable. Make sure all drivers are installed properly before start.
- Download XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf and XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf, copy to flashtool/firmwares folder in computer.
- On the flashtool, click on the lightning icon and click flashmode, then “ok”.
- You should see a new windows.
- At the right sidebar, check “Data, Cache, Appslog” boxes if you wish to wipe the device before flash. To remain your device data, uncheck all the boxes.
- At source folder, browse and choose “XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf ” in the flashtool/firmwares.
- Press flash button to start flashing.
- Follow the prompt instructions.
- First, to unplug your device from PC.
- Second, power off your device.
- Third, enter to Flash Mode on your device by press and hold Volume Down button while connect your device with USB cable to computer.
- Forth, connect your device back to computer with USB cable. The screen display will still remain blank in dark.
- Monitor the Flashtool in computer. It should continue to run and flash the XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.ftf .
- Wait until the flash process to complete. You should see “Flashing finished” from the flashtool
- Reboot your device now.
- Connect your device to computer in USB debugging mode
- On computer, close the flashtool. This is a very important step.
- Download DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip and extract into a new folder in desktop
- Double click on the runme_file in the extracted folder in Step 21. This will root your device.
- After rooting, repeat Step 4 – 18 using XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf. These steps will eventually flash back the stock 10.3.1.A.0.244 kernel to your device.
- Download root checker to check your root status.