How to Root Sony Xperia SP Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 12.0.A.2.245
Sony Xperia SP finally received Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware update with build version 12.0.A.2.245. For those who have updated to the latest Android 4.1.2 firmware, you may notice a transparent notification bar/menu bar, an additional row of settings in the notification panels, more small apps installed. If you are still remain at the previous firmware, you may refer to our guide to manually update to 12.0.A.2.245 Jelly Bean firmware. Please bear in mind your rooted Xperia SP will lose root access if you follow our guide to update your device. Nevertheless, you can now root your Xperia SP with 12.0.A.2.245 firmware using the following guide.
Rooting Sony Xperia SP is actually by a pre-rooted stock kernel provided by XDA senior member, alivanov79. By flashing this kernel, your device will be rooted, with busybox installed, /rootfs and /system mounted as rw (read & write), persistent adb. However, as this is based on stock kernel, no modification on UI and system file will be amended after flashing this kernel.
To avoid getting into any trouble during the flashing process, do take 5-10 minutes reading the pre-requisite and requirements. Even genius make mistake. Besides, we also strongly recommend to backup your data in the device to avoid data corruption. In this tutorial, we will need to have a Sony Xperia SP with unlocked bootloader. In this case, you may follow the complete guide from Sony Official Unlock Bootloader website. Nevertheless, you are welcomed to drop us a message if you in doubt.
Sony Xperia SP is equipped with 1.7GHz dual core Qualcomm MSM8960T Snapdragon processor and 1GB RAM. It also comes with 8GB internal storage with SD card expansion up to 32GB, 8MP rear camera and VGA front camera, 4.6 inches 1280×720 TFT display. Sony Xperia SP is running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware and most probably upgradable to Android 4.2 in the near future.
How To Root Sony Xperia SP
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia SP – unlock bootloader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia SP USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Unlock Sony Xperia SP bootloader. Proceed to official Sony website and unlock your device.
- Proceed after you have successfully unlocked the bootloader.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK). Skip if you have done in Step 1.
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Download kernel.elf to your computer.
- Copy and paste the kernel.elf to the fastboot folder at desktop.
- Power off your device completely.
- Enter Fastboot Mode by connecting your device to the computer via micro USB cable while pressing Volume Up button.
- In computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder.
- Type fastboot flash boot kernel.elf to flash the kernel file to your device.
- Press and hold Power button to turn off your device.
- Download root checker to check your root status.