October 13th, 2013
How To Install ClockWorkMod Recovery On Galaxy Tab 2 7 Android 4.2.2
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0″ is one of the most economical and popular tablet from Samsung. Flashing custom ROM on Galaxy Tab 2 would be a wise choice since Tab 2 has not come with very high-end hardware specification. In order to start flashing custom ROM, you need a custom recovery which could be ClockWorkMod Recovery or TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project). You need a custom recovery to flash custom ROM as the original recovery do not allow you to flash custom ROM. Follow us more on getting custom recovery right on your Galaxy Tab 2.
In this entry, we will use the official CWM Recovery from ClockWorkMod. You can either flash the touchable or classic ClockWorkMod recovery with hard button control. Of course, you can proceed to root your device easily after getting your custom recovery. We will add the root method here as bonus besides installing CWM recovery.
In addition, this installation guide is applicable for both P3100 GSM model and P3110 Wifi model with Android 4.2.2 OS. If you yet to update your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0″, you can follow our upgrade tutorial here (P3100 GSM & P3110 WiFi). If you wish to have your Galaxy Tab 2 with ONLY root access on Android 4.2.2 without the custom recovery then you can see our guide here too, it is simple and easy.
How To Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 P3110/P3100 On Android 4.2.2
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 or P3100 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 USB driver for Windows and install in your computer. Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation. Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: We recommend you to make a complete backup before start. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Odin1.85 zip
- CWM Recovery for P3110 Galaxy Tab 2 7 WiFi model (Classic | Touch – recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-p3110 or recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-p3110 | 5.7MB)
- CWM Recovery for P3100 Galaxy Tab 2 7 GSM model (Classic | Touch – recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-p3100 or recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-p3100 | 5.7MB)
- Root package (CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip, 668KB)
- Download and extract Odin1.85.zip in a folder in computer. You should see Odin1.85.exe.
- Download and extract the proper CWM Recovery *img that suit your device in a folder in computer. You should see the extracted *.tar or *tar.md5 file.
- Power off your device.
- Enter Download Mode by pressing and hold the Volume Down key, Home button, and Power button.
- You should see a warning triangle sign, press Volume Up to continue.
- You should see Odin Mode at the top and Downloading… , Do not turn off target!!
- Launch Odin executable file by double-clicking on Odin1.85 exe.
- Connect your device to your computer with USB cable.
- Wait until Odin to show an “Added” message at the lower-left message box.
- After your device is detected by Odin, click on the PDA button and select the *.tar or *.tar.md5.
- Make sure the Repartition option is not checked under Options & checked on Auto Reboot.
- Click Start button to flash *.tar or *.tar.md5 to your device. Monitor the flash progress on Odin.
- A green “PASS” message should show for a success flashing.
- Your device shall reboot automatically.
- To continue root your device, download the Root package CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip into your device internal storage.
- Reboot to Recovery Mode by pressing Volume Up key, Home button, and Power button.
- You should now enter recovery mode.
- In Recovery, select the install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard, browse to folder location and select the CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip and click Yes to install.
- Go back to Recovery home and reboot system now.
- You should have root access on your device now. Download Root Checker to check your device root status.