Xperia ZR C5503: Update to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244
Xperia ZR is now receive the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware together with its sibling Xperia Z and ZL. It is the same 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware for these three devices. Sony Xperia ZR is the only one which left behind the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware as compared to Xperia Z and ZL. Nevertheless, you can now enjoy the exclusive 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features on your devices.
This 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware update is 692MB in size. Sony have patched the perf_event exploit in the newer kernel. For those who have rooted their Xperia ZR on 10.1.1.A.1.317, you are not recommended to flash 10.3.1.A.0.244 ftf file directly using Sony Flashtool as your device’s root access will be lose. Please wait patiently until we published the working root method for Xperia ZR on latest 10.3.1.A.0.244 Android 4.2.2 firmware.
10.3.1.A.0.244 is an official Jelly Bean firmware release by Sony Mobile, you can either choose to update it via OTA, Sony PC Companion/Sony Bridge or manual update if you can’t wait any longer. In this entry, we will cover all these 3 methods. You do not need to erase your phone data with upgrade above. However, it is recommended to do a factory reset on your devices if you found errors, force close, or application compatibility issue after upgrade. In worst case, you are still able to revert your device firmware back to previous firmware version.
Sony Xperia ZR is one of the great android smartphone after release of his sibling, Sony Xperia Z. It is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8064 processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 8GB internal storage, an additional 32GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia ZE has a 4.55 inch TFT HD (1280 x 720 pixels) display with 323 ppi pixel density. It has also an non-removable battery with NFC. Sony Xperia ZR is known as of its under-water photo shooting & video recording, well water-resistant and dust resistant features. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box and upgradable to Android 4.2., pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware Changelog
- “Photo Sphere” panorama photos
- Keyboard with gesture typing (this feature is also available for Android 4.0 and later via the Google Keyboard app)
- Lock screen improvements, including widget support and the ability to swipe directly to camera
- Notification power controls (“Quick Settings”)
- “Daydream” screensavers, showing information when idle or docked
- Multiple user accounts (tablets only)
- Support for wireless display (Miracast)
- Accessibility improvements: triple-tap to magnify the entire screen, pan and zoom with two fingers. Speech output and Gesture Mode navigation for blind users
- New clock app with built-in world clock, stop watch and timer
- All devices now use the same interface layout, previously adapted from phones on 4.1 for smaller tablets (with centered software buttons, the system bar at the top of the screen, and a home screen with a dock and centered application menu), regardless of screen size
- Increased number of extended notifications and Actionable Notifications for more apps, allowing users to respond to certain notifications within the notification bar and without launching the app directly
- Always-on VPN
- Premium SMS confirmation
- Group Messaging
- Fixed a bug in the People app where December was not displayed on the date selector when adding an event to a contact
- Added Bluetooth gamepads and joysticks as supported HID
- Fixed Bluetooth audio streaming bugs
- Long-pressing the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons in Quick Settings now toggles the on/off state
- New download notifications, which now shows the percentage and estimated time remaining for active app downloads
- New sounds for wireless charging and low battery
- New Gallery app animation allows faster loading
- USB debug whitelist
- Bug fixes and performance enhancements
How To Update Sony Xperia ZR to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244
We have total 3 ways to update your devices officially. They are update via OTA (Over-The-Air), update via Sony PC Companion for Windows/Sony Bridge for Mac and manual update via Sony Flash Tool. Update via OTA and Samsung Kies are the easiest ways for update yet you have to wait the release from Samsung (It could takes up to a month of waiting). Manual update with Odin is the fastest way to get latest update yet need some additional manual installation steps. We will cover all 3 update methods in our tutorial.
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia ZR C5503 (Ensure correct device model and firmware;Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia ZR USB driver for Windows and install in your computer. Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation. Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Firmware upgrade should not delete your device data yet you may experience inconsistent performance after upgrade. Optionally, we recommend you to make a backup and do a clean upgrade. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
Choose Your Update Methods:
- Ensure you have stable internet connection (Wifi or data network) on your devices.
- Power up your device, go to android apps drawer, select Settings.
- Under Settings menu, select About phone under System.
- Select Software update under About phone.
- You should see an update available, press OK to download and install. (Caution: Download with 3G will incur additional charges to your phone bill!)
- Your device will reboot automatically and complete installation.
- If you see “The latest updates have already been installed”, you have to wait for Samsung to release the OTA update.
- Check out manual updates which give you the fastest and latest firmware update.
- Ensure you have stable internet connection on your computer.
- Download and install Sony Companion for Windows / Sony Bridge for Mac on your computer.
- Power up your device and connect it to computer with USB cable.
- Open up Sony Companion / Sony Bridge on your computer.
- Wait for Sony Companion / Sony Bridge to detect your device.
- You should able to see New Firmware Upgrade is available at the home of Sony Companion / Sony Bridge .
- Press on Firmware Upgrade button to proceed.
- Check the box to agree all the T&C about the upgrade and Press Start Upgrade to proceed.
- Wait download and installation to run. Do not disconnect your device at this moment.
- You should see your device running upgrade and reboot automatically.
- Upgrade is complete. (Check device firmware – Go to Settings –> About Phone–> Android & Baseband version)
- If you see “Your phone/tablet is up to date” in Sony Companion / Sony Bridge, you have to wait for Sony Mobile to release the update via Sony Companion / Sony Bridge.
- Check out manual updates which give you the fastest and latest firmware update.
Instructions: How To Manual Update Sony Xperia ZR to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Sony Flash Tool (Non Rooted)
If both OTA and Sony Companion / Sony Bridge updates do not work for you, follow tutorial below to manual update your device with Sony Flash Tool.
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware for Sony Xperia ZR 10.3.1.A.0.244 for C5503 (C5503_10.3.1.A.0.244_NCB.ftf | 692 MB) – Source
- Sony Flashtool (flashtool-0.9.11.0-windows.exe | 112.77MB)
- Download Sony flashtool into your computer. Double click on the flashtool.exe file to install. You should see a flashtool folder in C Drive.
- Double click on flashtool icon in the folder mentioned in Step 1 to launch flashtool (either is FlashTool or FlashTool64.exe)
- For first timer, navigate to C:\Flashtool\drivers folder to install “Flashtool-drivers”. Select and check the box of your device model and Flashmode Drivers.
- While your device is powered on, connect your device to computer with USB cable. Make sure all drivers are installed properly before start.
- Download *.ftf (Be careful to use the correct firmware on different models) and copy to C:\flashtool\firmwares folder in computer.
- On the flashtool, click on the lightning icon and click flashmode, then “ok”.
- You should see a new windows.
- At the right sidebar, check “Data, Cache, Appslog” boxes if you wish to wipe the device before flash. To remain your device data, uncheck all the boxes.
- At source folder, browse and choose “*.ftf ” in the flashtool/firmwares. *.ftf.
- Press flash button to start flashing.
- Follow the prompt instructions.
- First, to unplug your device from PC.
- Second, power off your device.
- Third, enter to Flash Mode on your device by press and hold Volume Down button while connect your device with USB cable to computer.
- Forth, connect your device back to computer with USB cable. The screen display will still remain blank in dark.
- Monitor the Flashtool in computer. It should continue to run and flash the *.ftf.
- Wait until the flash process to complete. You should see “Flashing finished” from the flashtool.
- Power on your device and you shall now with new firmware.
- Check device firmware to ensure you have properly installed 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware – Go to Settings –> About Phone–> Android & Baseband version.