October 13th, 2013
Sony Xperia SP: Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery
You can now get a Sony Xperia SP as it is available in most countries. As compare to flagship Xperia Z or ZR, Sony Xperia SP is considered the mid range smartphone with 1.7GHz dual core processor, 1GB RAM. With this specification, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean can be running smoothly on your device but yet you can still make it better a device for gaming or entertainment. In our previous tutorial, we has shown you the guide on rooting Sony Xperia SP. It is quite an easy tutorial which require only a few command code on your computer. And today, we are going to teach you how to install ClockWorkMod recovery on your device. It is as simple as the previous tutorial. Before we starts, make sure your device have unlocked bootloader and root access.
To avoid getting into any trouble during the flashing process, do take 5-10 minutes reading the pre-requisite and requirements. Even genius make mistake. Besides, we also strongly recommend to backup your data in the device to avoid data corruption. In this tutorial, we will need to have a Sony Xperia SP with unlocked bootloader. In this case, you may follow the complete guide from Sony Official Unlock Bootloader website. Nevertheless, you are welcomed to drop us a message if you in doubt.
Sony Xperia SP is equipped with 1.7GHz dual core Qualcomm MSM8960T Snapdragon processor and 1GB RAM. It also comes with 8GB internal storage with SD card expansion up to 32GB, 8MP rear camera and VGA front camera, 4.6 inches 1280×720 TFT display. Sony Xperia SP is running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware and most probably upgradable to Android 4.2 in the near future.
How To Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Sony Xperia SP
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia SP – unlock bootloader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia SP USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Unlock Sony Xperia SP bootloader. Proceed to official Sony website and unlock your device.
- Proceed after you have successfully unlocked the bootloader.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK). Skip if you have done in Step 1.
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Download kernel_en.elf to the fastboot folder. Rename kernel_en.elf to kernel.elf.
- Power off your device completely.
- Enter Fastboot Mode by connecting your device to the computer via micro USB cable while pressing Volume Up button.
- In computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder.
- Type fastboot flash boot kernel.elf to flash the kernel file to your device.
- Press and hold Power button to turn off your device.
- Your device is now installed with ClockWorkMod recovery. We recommend to perform NANDROID backup with CWM.