October 13th, 2013
How To Root Nexus 5 Android 4.4 Kit Kat
Root for Nexus 5 is available within 24 hours after launch. Chainfire get his Nexus 5 rooted within 10 minutes. Great news to those who had the new Nexus 5 on-hand. Chainfire has released his root tools, CF-Auto-Root for Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 Kit Kat. CF-Auto-Root is a very handy basic root tools for all especially for beginners. CF-Auto-Root for Nexus 5 will help you gain the root access with minimal changes on the ROM, as close to stock as possible.
CF-Auto-Root supports Windows, Mac and Linux which is very useful and convenient for users with different OS platform. Great thanks again to Chainfire. Hence, in this tutorial, we will use CF-Auto-Root to root Nexus 5 running Android 4.4 Kit Kat. This root method is easy and simple to use. Your Nexus 5 can be rooted within 2 minutes with correct steps. It has been proven working. For your information, CF-Auto-Root will not install any custom recovery for you. You have to manual install custom recovery like CWM Touch or TWRP in order to flash custom ROM.
Nexus 5 is the 5th generation of Google Nexus device. It has a 5.0” (1920 x 1200) Full HD display. It is equipped by 2.3GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB RAM, 8MP rear and 1.3MP front camera. It comes with Android 4.4 Kit Kat firmware out of the box.
Android 4.4 Features On Nexus 5
Check out more on what’s new on Android 4.4 Kit Kat with Android Teen today.
How To Root Nexus 5 Android 4.4 Kit Kat
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC,Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Nexus 5 running Android 4.4 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Nexus 5 USB driver for Windows and install in your computer. (Installation guide)
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: If you are first timer and Nexus 5 with bootloader locked, you need to make a full backup else you will lose all data. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download CF-Auto-Root-hammerhead-hammerhead-nexus5.zip into a folder in computer.
- Extract the downloaded zip file. You should see root-windows.bat. (Choose root-linux.sh for Linux and choose root-mac.sh for Mac)
- Power off your device and boot to fastboot mode.
- Boot up your device into Bootloader Mode by press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button until Fastboot menu and Start appeared.
- Connect your device to computer.
- For first timer, you should see Windows to install USB driver, let’s the process to complete before proceed. (Ensure you install Android SDK – Installation guide)
- Double click and launch root-windows.bat.
- Read and understand the instructions. First is to unlock bootloader (optional if you have unlocked bootloader) and follow by root.
- Press any key to continue.
- Check on both computer and device screen.
- You should see a red Android logo during rooting.
- Wait device to reboot.
- To check whether you have root access, download root checker below to test.
- Enjoy your rooted Nexus 5.