October 13th, 2013
How To Root Sony Xperia ZR on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
How To Root Sony Xperia ZR guide is now available for you. Great to know if you own a Xperia ZR which have one of the exclusive feature to have video recording and photo capturing under water besides water-proof and dust resistant features. Android 4.2.2 is now the latest android firmware for Sony Xperia ZR as well for other OEM devices. Today, we like to share you on how we can easily root Sony Xperia ZR, C5502 (GSM) and C5503 (LTE) models on Android 4.2.2 FW 10.1.1.A.1.317 firmware.
In this tutorial, we will guide you how to root your Sony Xperia ZR. The root method below do not need a bootloader unlocked device. It is applicable to either locked (stock) or unlocked bootloader. Your device will be eventually rooted with SuperSU and Busybox installed. The whole process is simple and fast. It takes only 15 to 30 minutes to complete. However, ensure you are clear what you going to do to gain the root access. Check out our post regarding the benefits of root before start and if you still have doubt to begin. This tutorial has been testified working. Drop your message if it is not working for you.
We provide the complete tutorial for you to root Sony Xperia ZR on 10.1.1.A.1.317 Jelly Bean firmware (update). Remember to backup your data in the device to avoid data lose during flashing process. Keep in mind that a single step might brick your device, so follow the tutorial step-by-step. If you in doubt, do not hesitate to leave us a message.
Sony Xperia ZR is one of the great android smartphone after release of his sibling, Sony Xperia Z. It is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8064 processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 8GB internal storage, an additional 32GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia ZE has a 4.55 inch TFT HD (1280 x 720 pixels) display with 323 ppi pixel density. It has also an non-removable battery with NFC. Sony Xperia ZR is known as of its under-water photo shooting & video recording, well water-resistant and dust resistant features. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box and upgradable to Android 4.2., pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
How To Root Sony Xperia ZR on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware 10.1.1.A.0.317
In this case, since you do not need to unlock bootloader of your Sony Xperia ZR, your warranty will not void.
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia ZR (either C5502 or C5503 models) with 10.1.1.A.0.317 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia ZR USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Easy Rooting Toolkit v17 by DooMLoRD (DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v17_perf-event-exploit.zip | 2.92MB) – Source (Big thanks!)
- Download DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v17_perf-event-exploit.zip to your computer.
- Extract the zip file into a folder. You should see a “files” folder and a “runme.bat”.
- Ensure you have enabled USB Debugging and enable “Unknown Sources” in Settings->Security->Unknown Sources on your device.
- Connect your device to computer while it is powered on.
- Skip “PC Companion Software” prompt on the device screen.
- Download click to launch “runme.bat”.
- [Follow screen instructions] Press any key to continue.
- Complete the process to install busybox and SuperUser.
- Reboot your device when the script finish execution and you should have root access gained.
- If you are facing issue of device rebooting when remounting /system partition then do checkout the fix posted by @[NUT].
- Download root checker to check your root status.