October 13th, 2013
How To Root LG Optimus G Pro with Value Pack Upgrade
Have you get the latest Value Pack Upgrade for your LG Optimus G Pro? LG has rolling out a firmware upgrade for LG Optimus G Pro to enhance the overall performance of this giant device to compete with Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as well as the newly release Samsung Galaxy S4. Root for LG Optimus G Pro with value pack upgrade is now available with our tutorial.
As recap of the value pack upgrade, LG included several key functions to LG Optimus G Pro like Smart Video, Dual Camera and Pause & Resume Recoding. LG wanted to bring the same experience with what you have in the latest Samsung Galaxy S4 exclusive features. The Value Pack Upgrade is now available via OTA as well as LG PC Suite. We do not recommend you to update manually as there is none solid source for this firmware (For developers, you may refer to the firmware package here for development purpose). Update your device to the latest value package upgrade firmware and start the root process. Of course, ensure you are clear what you going to do to gain the root access. Check out our post regarding the benefits of root before start and if you still have doubt to begin.
The LG Optimus G Pro version we are mentioning here is US AT&T LG Optimus G Pro (E980 model). We are yet to confirm and collect latest root method for international LG Optimus G Pro too. This post will be updated from time to time to updates root methods for all variants of LG Optimus G Pro. Back to the topic, in this tutorial, we will show you step-by-step how to root LG Optimus G Pro. with value pack upgrade firmware. After firmware upgrade, your device is still remaining at Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware.
LG Optimus G Pro is LG’s flagship device in 2013 with 1.7GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor and 2GB RAM. It is the first 5.5 inch full HD display (1920 x 1080p) device from LG. It comes with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware and upgradable to Android 4.2.
How To Root LG Optimus G Pro
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- LG Optimus G Pro – AT&T E980 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download LG Optimus G Pro USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Process below doesn’t delete your device data but good to make a backup. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download and extract E980-UniversalRoot.zip in a folder in a computer.
- Connect your device to the computer via micro USB cable.
- Select “charge only” when your device is detected on the computer. Or change it manually at Settings->General->PC connection->USB connection type.
- Wait for 3 minutes before start steps below.
- In the extracted folder in Step 1, execute CurrentRoot.bat by double click on .bat file. A prompt-out windows appear on your computer, wait for the software to detect your device.
- On your device, go to Settings->General->PC connection->USB connection type, change “Charge Only” to “Media sync (MTP)” mode.
- Wait for at least 3 minutes to let computer to acknowledge your device status.
- Once you have changed the USB mode, press any key on the computer to proceed with rooting script running in Prompt-out Windows.
- If you get the message “If uid=0(root), gid=0(root) is displayed”, press any key on your computer to retry the root process.
- Rooting script will repeatedly running and wait until you see the messages “you are now properly Rooted”. While the rooting script running, keep your device’s screen active.
- After your device is successfully root, reboot your device.
- Go to Google Play Store to download and install Superuser.
- Open Superuser in your device, go to “Info” and “tap on check for update”.
- Download Root Checker in Google Play to check the root status.