October 13th, 2013
How to Backup TA Partition for Sony Xperia Devices
I know you like to unlock boot loader of your Xperia device in order to install custom kernel or rom to unleash the maximum potential of device’s hardware. Unlike other smartphone, Sony Xperia devices has exclusive DRM keys which is required to use certain software such as Bravia Engine in Album app and for official OTA updates. There is no way to recover your DRM keys once you have unlocked boot loader of your device without having a backup of the TA partition. Please bear in mind, this is a very important guide to you if you think of restore your Xperia devices to stock firmware.
According to the latest information, users experience defection on camera function on latest Sony Xperia Z1 device. It is revealed the cause of camera malfunction is unlocked boot loader of Xperia Z1. The consequence may last longer if developer fails to resolve the problem and yet you forget to backup TA partition before unlock boot loader. By restoring TA partition, you can restore your Xperia Devices to stock firmware even with locked boot loader. If you in doubt what is TA, DRM keys or others enquiries, kindly proceed to XDA thread for more FAQ.
Tutorial below is applicable for rooted Xperia devices with locked boot loader. For those who already unlock boot loader without backup TA partition, sorry to say that you cannot recover DRM keys forever! For others, kindly refer to the supported devices list below and make sure your device is in the list (Source):
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra
- Sony Xperia Z
- Sony Xperia ZL
- Sony Xperia ZQ
- Sony Xperia ZR
- Sony Xperia ION
- Sony Xperia S
- Sony Xperia SL
- Sony Xperia SP
- Sony Xperia Acro S
- Sony Xperia T
- Sony Xperia TL
- Sony Xperia TX
- Sony Xperia M
- Sony Xperia V
- Sony Xperia P
- Sony Xperia L
- Sony Xperia U
- Sony Xperia Sola
- Sony Xperia Miro
- Sony Xperia Tipo
- Sony Xperia J
- Sony Xperia E
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z
If your device is not in the list, please make a backup before proceed to the guide below. We are not responsible if any permanent damage to your device if it is not in the supported device list. You are warned!
How To Backup TA Partition for Sony Xperia Devices
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Devices – rooted, locked boot loader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Download Backup-TA-9.7.zip into your computer.
- Extract the download zip file in a new folder.
- Close all the ADB running on your computer.
- Connect your device to the computer via micro USB cable
- Double click on the Backup-TA.bat file in the extracted folder in Step 2.
- A new windows will appear.
- Key in 1 to backup TA Partition.
- Once backup complete, you shall find a backup file in zip format.
- Keep this backup zip file in secure storage. This will be used to restore DRM keys on your Xperia devices.