October 19th, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195: Root and Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
(Update) GT-I9195_RootKit_v2.zip is now replacing MF5 kernel file. Finally Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 get the attention from XDA developers. As for today, arco68, recognized developer of XDA forums releases the first root method for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195. At the same time, ClockWorkMod recovery and insecure kernel for GT-I9195 will be flashed into your device with acro68 method. Please be reminded that this method is only applicable to Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 version, you might get your device bricked if inappropriate model is used in this tutorial.
For this instance, acro’s method is exclusive root guide in XDA forum and it is proven to be working by XDA members. This root guide is simple and easy. The rooting process is somehow similar to the normal manual update of stock firmware using Odin. The whole process may take only 15-30 minutes to complete. We always looking forward to provide you easiest way to root and install CWM recovery on Galaxy S4 Mini. Check our post regarding the benefits of root before start and if you still have to begin, drop us a message.
How To Root and Install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini USB driver for Windows and install in your computer. Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation. Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: You do not need to wipe your device but we always suggest your backup before flashing. Perform wipe data only if you face problem after flashing. Ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Samsung Odin3.09 (Odin3.09.zip, 1.15MB) – Source
MF5 Kernel (GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.zip, 6.46MB)
- CWM recovery (recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-serranoltexx.tar.zip, 5.79MB)
- GT-I9195_RootKit_v2 (GT-I9195_RootKit_v2.zip | 7.95MB)
- Download and extract Odin3.09.zip in a folder in computer.
- Download and extract
GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.zip andrecovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-serranoltexx.tar.zip to get *.tar or *tar.md5 in a folder in computer.
- Power off your device.
- Enter Download Mode by pressing and hold the Volume Down key, Home button, and Power button.
- You should see a warning triangle sign, press Volume Up to continue.
- You should see Odin Mode at the top and Downloading… , Do not turn off target!!
- Launch Odin executable file by double-clicking on Odin v3.09 exe.
- Connect your device to your computer with USB cable.
- Wait until Odin to show an “Added” message at the lower-left message box.
- After your device is detected by Odin, click on the PDA button and select the
- Make sure the Repartition and F.Reset Time option is not checked under Options & checked on AP button.
- Click Start button to flash
GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-serranoltexx.tar.md5 to your device. Monitor the flash progress on Odin.
- A green “PASS” message should show for a success flashing.
- Your device shall reboot automatically.
- Connect your device to computer.
- Download GT-I9195_RootKit_v2.zip and transfer to the external SD card.
Power off your device. Reboot into Download Mode again. In Odin, click on the PDA button and select the recovery-clockwork-18.104.22.168-serranoltexx.tar.md5. Make sure the Repartition and F.Reset Time option is not checked under Options & checked on Auto Reboot. Click Start button to flash GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5 to your device. Monitor the flash progress on Odin. A green “PASS” message should show for a success flashing. Your device shall reboot automatically.
- Power off your device.
- Boot into CWM Recovery Mode by press and hold Volume Up, Home button and Power button.
- In CWM Recovery, select install zip from sdcard, then select Yes to confirm.
- Once installation complete, reboot your device. You should have rooted your device now.
Now, exit the recovery, you are asked if you want to root the device. Select Yes to proceed.
- Power on your device. Download and install Superuser app from Google Play Store.