October 13th, 2013
How To Unlock Bootloader On Sony Xperia Z
Unlock bootloader on Sony Xperia Z is now available officially. Sony is getting themselves on trend to open android development to public. Official bootloader method can be easily accessible from Sony Mobile Development page. Tutorial below is compatible to all different models of Sony Xperia Z. You can root Xperia Z after unlock the bootloader.
Sony Xperia Z is one of the latest flagship android smartphone. It is equipped with 1.5GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with GPU Adreno 320. It has 2GB RAM and internal 16GB internal storage, an additional 64GB SD card slot. Sony Xperia Z has a 5 inch TFT Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display with 441 ppi pixel density. It has also an non-removable battery with NFC. Sony Xperia Z is known as of its well water-resistant and dust resistant features. It works and can stands for about 30 minutes in 3m water depth. Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is the stock operating system firmware out of the box, pre-installed with Sony Mobile Battery Saving Mode.
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start. (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia Z C6602/C6603
- Ensure you use correct device model and firmware
- Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia Z USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup. (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
Reminder: Unlock bootloader will erase everything in your device. Ensure you have make a necessary backup before start. With bootloader being unlocked, you will no longer receive OTA update from Sony although bootloader is locked again. Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
How To Unlock Bootloader On Sony Xperia Z
- First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
- In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. IfBootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
- On your computer, click Continue at the bottom of this page to start the unlock boot loader process.
- Read through the information in the pop up window and click Yes, I’m sure, if you are still confident you want to unlock the boot loader.
- Read through and accept the legal terms. Click I Accept.
- Enter your name, a valid email adress and the first 14 digits of your phone’s IMEI or MEID number (remove the last digit if necessary). Click Submit. You can view the IMEI or MEID number by entering *#06# on your phone.
- The unlock boot boot loader key will be sent to your email. Save it for later use.
- Download and install the latest Android SDK from developer.android.com.
- Download and unzip this file. This is the standard android_winusb.inf-file, with a few lines of code added to enable Fastboot to support Sony and Sony Ericsson devices. Make sure you are running Google USB Driver package revision 4 or higher in your Android SDK. You can see current Google USB Driver package revision in the SDK Manager.
- Place the unzipped file in the usb_driver folder, located in the Android SDK > extras > google folder on your computer. Accept to replace the old android_winusb.inf-file with the new file. If you can’t find the usb_driver folder, please install the Google USB Driver Packager using the Android SDK manager.
- Turn off your phone.
- On your phone, push and hold the Fastboot button at the same time as you connect the phone to the computer with a USB-cable. The Fastboot button may differ between different phone models. See theFastboot buttons page for more information on what button use on your phone.
- On your computer, you will be asked for drivers. Point to the usb_driver folder where you placed the android_winusb.inf-file, and select the Android Boot loader Interface-file.
- Open a command window and go to the tools folder within the Android SDK folder.
- Enter fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version, and verify that you get a response back (for example “0.3”). This means your phone is connected properly.
- Warning! If you perform this step, you will unlock the boot loader. This may void your warranty and/or any warranty from your operator. If you still want to unlock the boot loader of your phone, enterfastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY, where KEY is the unlock boot loader key you got in the beginning of this instruction. The boot loader should now be successfully unlocked.