October 13th, 2013
How To Root Sony Xperia L on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware 15.0.A.1.36
Sony Xperia L have been officially unveiled back in May 2013. With the dual core 1.0GHz Snapdragon processor, Xperia L performs fair enough to support daily usage i.e surfing internet, music or game. However, with memory of 1GB RAM, it does has better performance than other budget smartphone in the market in term of speed and stability (not laggy even in newer Android version). Sony Xperia L is released merely one month, XDA developers already came out with the pre-rooted kernel which helps to root your Sony Xperia L. A big thanks given to Rachit Rawat, the great initiator behind the screen that works this out for the Xperia L users. With the installation of pre-rooted kernel, busybox will be installed and together with latest su binary, thanks to the autoroot feature.
To avoid getting into any trouble during the flashing process, do take 5-10 minutes reading the pre-requisite and requirements. Even genius make mistake. Besides, we also strongly recommend to backup your data in the device to avoid data corruption. In this tutorial, we will need to have a Sony Xperia L with unlocked bootloader. In this case, you may follow the complete guide from Sony Official Unlock Bootloader website. Nevertheless, you are welcomed to drop us a message if you in doubt.
Sony Xperia L is equipped with 1.0GHz dual core Qualcomm MSM8230 Snapdragon processor and 1GB RAM. It also comes with 8GB internal storage (5.8GB user available) with SD card expansion up to 32GB, 8MP rear camera and VGA front camera, 4.3 inches 854×480 TFT display. Sony Xperia L is running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware and no indication from Sony for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update at this stage.
How To Root Sony Xperia L on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Ben Firmware 15.0.A.1.36
Disclaimer: It’s always a risk to modify your device. We, Android Teen are not responsible for any damage or bricks on your device. Your device warranty may void with any mod. Check your devices warranty’s term & conditions before start.(HTC,Samsung,LG, Sony, Motorola). Use this guide on your own risk, contact us for help if you face problem.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
- Sony Xperia L – unlock bootloader (Ensure correct device model and firmware; Check device model – Go to Settings -> About Device -> Model Number)
- Windows-based computer or laptop
- Download Sony Xperia L USB driver for Windows and install in your computer.
- Connect device to computer with USB cable to complete installation.
- Skip this step if you have installed the USB driver.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Devices.
- Make sure your phone is charged to 60% 80% to avoid battery blackout and interruption during this tutorial.
- We recommend you make a backup on your data and media files before the tutorial. You may restore the data and files if necessary.
- How to Completely Backup Android Without Root
- How to Backup Personal Data on Android Device (Contact, Application Data, Wifi Password, APN Settings)
- Backup SMS and Restore on Android Devices
- How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- How to Backup Nandroid with Titanium Backup (Complete back up for rooted Android Devices)
Reminder: Ensure you make a backup before proceed. Unlock bootloader will erase everything inside your device. Besides that, ensure you meet the requirements before proceed. Contact us if you face problem.
- Unlock Sony Xperia L bootloader. Proceed to official Sony website and unlock your device.
- Proceed after you have successfully unlocked the bootloader.
- Setup fastboot in your computer if you do not have it. (How to setup ADB and Fastboot driver with Android SDK). Skip if you have done in Step 1.
- Once you have completed the setup, copy adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll from C:\\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and fastboot.exe in C:\\android-sdk-windows\tools to a new folder at the desktop, renamed it as fastboot.
- Download Extended-Stock-Kernel_TaoShan.zip and extract it to a new folder. You shall see a boot.img file within the extracted folder.
- Copy and paste the boot.img to the fastboot folder at desktop.
- Power off your device completely.
- Enter Fastboot Mode by connecting your device to the computer via micro USB cable while pressing Volume Up button.
- In computer, open Command Prompt windows. (To Open Command Prompt –>Windows Logo–> Type CMD in search box –>Enter)
- Type cd C:\fastboot in the command prompt windows to navigate to your fastboot folder.
- Type fastboot flash boot boot.img to flash the kernel file to your device.
- Press and hold Power button to turn off your device.
- Download root checker to check your root status.